Sunday, October 28, 2012

here's to 6 months!

In honor of our six months of being married, I decided to share how Chandler proposed to me. We had an opportunity to share this story last weekend with some friends (every couple was sharing their story), and it was so fun to reminisce. I thought it would be good to have it written down somewhere.

The weekend before we got engaged we started ring shopping. It was something we did on a whim while we were heading to a concert and we had some time to kill. We both wanted to get an idea of what we liked in a ring, then Chandler wanted to choose one for me on his own based on what we liked. We went to several different jewelry stores throughout the week, but the one place we had a coupon for was only open during hours that I couldn't go because I was in dance rehearsals in the evenings. Chandler decided to go see what they had, to see if we would want to use the coupon. My younger sister, Leigh, went with him so that he could see some ring ideas actually on a girl's finger (they always look different on someone that in the cabinet, ya know?). I guess during that little trip they picked out a ring. They had picked one out, but had forgotten to take any pictures so they went out of their way to go to another jewelry store just to take pictures of rings that they had 'looked at' - so sneaky. Also, Leigh had told Chandler that I was expecting to be proposed to that weekend. That made Chandler all the more determined to propose to me earlier - when I would least expect it. That was Wednesday, February 1.

On Thursday, February 2, Chandler sent me a text while I was at school suggesting that we should go to the temple that evening. I thought that was a great idea! (Little did I know it was just a ruse to get me to dress up :). He also sent me a text shortly after saying that I shouldn't eat anything when I get home, that he would have something ready to eat already, so that we wouldn't get to the temple too late on a school night. Very thorough, another good idea, I thought.

As soon as I got home (a little after 8pm) Chandler met me at my apartment so we could leave. He told me that we should hurry and leave because he had heard about another jewelry store in Provo that might be fun to check out (a good decoy so I didn't know he had the ring). He said we would find some place to quickly eat out, and that since we were going to check out a jewelry place we probably wouldn't make it to the temple. That was fine with me. I was excited to spend time together.

Chandler then proceeded to drive towards downtown Provo to 'look' for this jewelry place he had mentioned. It was getting dangerously close to 9pm, and I wondered if we would make it before it closed. While in the car, Chandler also asked me how he thought my dad would react when he called to ask my dad for his blessing on our marriage. (He had actually called my dad two days before, but he asked me how he thought my dad would respond just to add to the decoys. Such a sneaky guy!). I said something supportive, saying I didn't know exactly how my dad would respond, but that I thought he would support us and say yes. Chandler just smiled.

A few minutes later, Chandler decided to pull over to look up directions to the store. It was basically 9pm. We decided we probably wouldn't get there in time anyway... Then Chandler, gesturing to the restaurant we had pulled in front of, suggested we just eat dinner there. I half-laughed in disbelief and said something like, "I actually love this restaurant, and my family has come here on a few special occasions! ...But it's pretty pricey... I don't think we should just randomly spend this much on food..." (Chandler actually knew that I liked the restaurant - "La Dolce Vita" - because Leigh had told him so when they had picked out the ring). He convinced me that it was okay to eat out and spend a little extra money sometimes. I conceded (secretly really excited to eat a nice dinner together while we were dressed up), and we went inside.


The restaurant was all to ourselves! No one was in there that late on a Thursday night, so we had a nice private dinner. The Italian food was delicious, and there was a deal that we took advantage of too. Our waiter kindly took a picture of us (at my request, because I wanted to document a fun evening). Towards the end of our dinner, Chandler started pulling something out of his pocket with this sweet smile on his face. My mind started racing! Is he going to propose?! I thought excitedly. Then he walked over to me and wrapped a beautiful real pearl necklace around my neck and closed the clasp while he told me how much he loved me and thought I was so beautiful. I felt so flattered and so loved. He was being so sweet. Okay, this is his way of apologizing for not having a ring yet. How sweet. I was thinking to myself. I thought that was the end of it. Chandler had played his cards so well that I wasn't expecting a proposal anymore that night.

As we were about to leave, Chandler got excited and suggested that it would be fun to drive by the location of our first date (the yard that we had gone to rake a bunch of leaves). I told him I wasn't sure I remembered where it was and he said he didn't really remember either (another lie to keep me in the dark) but that it would be fun to go look for it. We drove almost straight there (he had found it earlier in the day just to make sure he would know how to get there). When we got to the house it was pretty dark, and pretty late (about 10pm). It was fun to reminisce how far we had come since our first date. Then Chandler suggested we get out. I was apprehensive about it. I didn't want to be considered a creeper in a random person's yard this late! But I agreed to get out for just a minute.

We walked around a tiny bit. Then Chandler started to turn the conversation to his religion class. He talked about how in his class his professor had talked about finding the person you wanted to spend forever with and how I had all the traits he always wanted in a spouse (how romantic :). Then he said he had one question for me (this is the point when I clued in to what was happening). He knelt down on one knee, in the darkness lit by only one street lamp, on the cold grass and asked if I would marry him. I giggled and said yes!! Then kissed him. Then I proceeded to say "you are such a punk!" - referring to all of the little things he had done to throw me off. It was amazing, such a joyous moment! And the ring was dazzling! He had picked the perfect one.

After the excitement subsided a little (it really hasn't since then to be honest. I am still as excited now as I was then about being married to Chandler - more actually!), we both sort of asked "now what?" We went to the temple to sit in the parking lot and talked about the excitement of getting married. Then I called/texted a few people (it was too late in the evening to tell everyone). It was a beautiful night.

I am so in love with Chandler and the relationship we have together. We are both far from perfect, but I love that we are able to talk things out and strive to be greater together. He is the best!

Showing off my ring! We were tired, because it was late, but so happy!


No comments:

Post a Comment